BC Ortho Student DB
This project allows staff at BC Ortho to manage student and registration data for the courses they offer.
End User Documentation
You must be logged in as staff on the website to access any of the Database tools described here.
Click for documentation on each of the primary workflows for the system:
- bulk import of Karelo registration data from past courses, currently maintained in Excel spreadsheets.
- normal course workflow: list upcoming course offering, import Karelo registration data after course is done, enter student grades for course
- search / lookup student records, primarily to check on their completion / grades on courses
- export CSV certificate data and create certificates using mail-merge for a single course data
- edit / maintain student and course data
Creating CSV files
Registration data from Karelo comes as an Excel file. The data must be saved as a Comma-Separated Value (CSV) file to import it to the DB:
- open the file from Karelo in Excel;
- choose: File... Save As
- select: Format: CSV
- import the .csv file created
- the system will report any errors that need to be fixed before the import can proceed
- read the warning report carefully before confirming the import - each warning represents a decision the system had to make that could be wrong.
Notes and Potential problems
- Open Office: if you are using Open Office, be sure to specify that the string delimiter is a double quote and not a single quote. This is the default option.
- Non-CPA students cannot be identified uniquely from the Karelo data because they do not have a CPA number. Please see Handling Non-CPA students for details on how to handle these cases.
- optionally, grade data will be imported from the Karelo file. However, this grade data was entered by hand and is not always consistent. Please see Handling Grade Data for details.
- Check out project ( https://svn.driftwoodcove.webfactional.com/bcortho/trunk/bcortho)
- Create suitable settings file
- Create media directory (at MEDIA_URL)
- sym-link static directory in project to static
- sym-link admin/media directory in django to admin
- create tp directory; install or symlink to tinymce ( http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/)
- Create registration_files directory below media (uploaded registration files will be saved here)
- Create DB (per DATABASE_ENGINE and _NAME)
- run ./manage.py syncdb
- run ./manage.py loaddata current_courses
Requirements and Design
Original requirements and design documents are attached below.